DERMATITIS / ECZEMA TREATMENT AT DERMCARE, MISSISSAUGA
DermCare is your source for quality dermatological care in Mississauga. Dermatitis, also known as eczema, is one of the most common medical skin conditions that we treat. It is common in children, and may resolve by adulthood. However, many people struggle with eczema for a lifetime.
WHAT IS ECZEMA?
Dermatitis, or eczema, is a general term referring to inflammation of the skin. Several skin conditions fall in this category. They include:
- Atopic dermatitis – This condition is most common in infants. It often resolves by adulthood. However, in some people it can continue into adulthood. The symptoms include dryness, itching, and sometimes blisters.
- Contact – An allergy or irritant is the cause of this condition. It usually manifests as a localized rash, red or pink in color. The rash may be itchy or painful.
- Nummular – Older adults are most susceptible to this condition. It appears as round, red plaques, usually on the arms, legs, or trunk of the body.
- Seborrheic – Dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis in adults. Cradle cap is seborrheic dermatitis in infants. Inflammation of the scalp causes itching, irritation, and noticeable flaking.
- Stasis – This is also called venous stasis or venous dermatitis because it is associated with vein problems. Characterized by redness, itching, and pain, it usually develops on the legs and ankles.
There is not a cure for eczema, but it is controllable with the help of your dermatologist. When you visit DermCare, we will begin with an examination and a discussion about your symptoms. We will work with you to develop a treatment plan according to the type and severity of your eczema. This may include oral or topical medication, over the counter products, moisturizers, or in-office treatment. For dandruff, a medicated shampoo may be recommended.
Call (855) 952-4455 to schedule a consultation with your dermatologist at DermCare.