PSORIASIS TREATMENT AT DERMCARE, MISSISSAUGA
Psoriasis is a common, chronic skin condition. It is a type of immune system disorder that makes new skin cells develop too rapidly, creating plaques on the skin. At DermCare in Mississauga, we use advanced laser therapy to bring psoriasis under control.
TYPES OF PSORIASIS
There are several common types of psoriasis. They include:
- Plaque psoriasis – This is the most common type, accounting for about 80 percent of psoriasis cases. It causes red, inflamed, scaly patches. The knees, elbows, lower back, and scalp are the most commonly affected areas.
- Guttate Psoriasis – This occurs most often in childhood and early adulthood. It appears as small spots, pink or red in color.
- Inverse – This usually appears in areas like the armpits. It is similar to plaque psoriasis, but the lesions are smooth and shiny with no scales.
- Pustular – These lesions are painful and filled with pus. This type of psoriasis rarely affects children.
- Erythrodermic – This is the least common but most dangerous form of psoriasis. It affects large areas of the body, making skin look severely burned. Symptoms may include burning, itching, or peeling skin along with body temperature changes and an increased heart rate.
- Psoriatic arthritis – The effects of this condition can go beyond the skin. Many people with psoriasis also experience pain and swelling in the joints, which can interfere with normal daily activities.
TREATING AND CONTROLLING PSORIASIS
Although some over the counter products are available, they might not be effective. Your dermatologist can provide powerful in-office treatments and prescription medications. For some people, skin may clear almost immediately. In other cases, improvement is more gradual.
We are your partners in dermatological wellness. If you are ready to take control of your skin condition and take back your life, give us a call at (905) 625-5600 and schedule an appointment today.