SKIN CANCER TREATMENT AT DERMCARE, MISSISSAUGA
Of all conditions, we treat here at DermCare in Mississauga, cancer is by far the most serious. It can be disfiguring, or even fatal, if it progresses to advanced stages. Luckily, most skin cancers can be treated with an excellent success rate when detected early.
TYPES OF SKIN CANCER
There are many types of skin cancer. The most common include:
- Melanoma – This type of skin cancer spreads very rapidly, making it the most dangerous. Without prompt treatment, the tumor can increase in size, and the cancer can spread to other areas of the body. Melanoma kills over 1,000 Canadians annually.
- Basal cell carcinoma – Although rarely deadly, basal cell carcinoma can be disfiguring without prompt treatment. It is the most common skin cancer, with millions of new cases diagnosed each year.
- Squamous cell carcinoma – This is nearly as prevalent basal cell carcinoma, and is more aggressive.
PREVENTION, DIAGNOSIS, AND TREATMENT
There are two things you should know about the development of skin cancer.
- The number one risk factor is UV exposure. You can dramatically reduce your chances of getting skin cancer by using sun protection and avoiding indoor tanning.
- UV protection will reduce, but not eliminate, the risk. Self-checks and annual screenings are essential no matter how careful you are in the sun or what your skin type is.
If a visual examination reveals potential skin cancer, your dermatologist will take a biopsy (small tissue sample). A laboratory will analyze the tissue to ensure an accurate diagnosis. If it tests positive for skin cancer, prompt treatment is essential. Most early stage cancers can be removed right here in our office. For advanced or problematic tumors, we will refer you to an appropriate surgical specialist.
Have you had your annual cancer screening? Call (905) 625-5600 to schedule an appointment at DermCare.